Monday, November 24, 2008

Eye Appt

So today I had my free consultation for LASIK. For those of you who don't know, yes I'm blind. I cannot function without either glasses or contacts. I'm very nearsighted. So I am never ever without my glasses or contacts. I actually pack an extra pair of contacts anytime I go out of town - just in case.

James has been wanting LASIK for a long time. And I want it to. So I had my consult today and he has his tomorrow. His vision isn't nearly as bad.

A few things I learned from the appointment. One that I was right. It is still pretty expensive. For me it is $2220 PER EYE!!! Yikes. I want it but that is a lot of money. So we are going to look into insurance and flex plans and all that to see what we can do.

Another thing I learned. Having your eyes dilated REALLY stinks!! I don't remember when I had this done before. I think it was over 10 years ago. So I didn't really remember what it was like. Not only was I sensitive to light. I had the hardest time focusing. It made me a little nauseous after a while. Yuck!

So hopefully James' won't be so expensive. We'll see. I'm not sure if we will both do it right away or just one of us. Ahh if only we were millionaires!

8 comments:

McAtee Family said...

Hey there - Mike's was $2200 per eye and we learned that the insurance did not cover any of it. If you went to Lasik and you don't have insurance, they give you a non-insurance discount (Mike's was $2200 per eye after that).

That said - Mike was a -8.5 in each eye and was blind without any glasses. It has been completely life changing for him. You should talk to him about it, because with such bad eyesight, the cut on each eye is deeper, the recovery time is much longer and there was a lot of discomfort/pain.

Best part of the whole thing (for me) is that they let me sit in the room and watch. I got to sit right next to him and hold his hand - it was amazing to watch them shave the eye and peel it back. So - if you do it and need handholding - I am your person - it fascinates me : )

McAtee Family said...

Oops - just read what I wrote. I meant to say that if you went to Discover, they give you the discount. Actually, that discount may have been for paying in cash (Mike's surgery was a gift from his mom - I think she felt guilty that he got his horrible eyesight from her). It was amusing to role in with $4400 in $100 bills it was a lifetime first for the both of us. I tried to tell Mike that we could buy a lot of contacts with that money and still buy a killer tv - he didn't go for it!

Shauna said...

Oh, man Bill keeps on trying to talk me into letting him do it, I had no idea it was that expensive..YIKES! I have heard it is well worth it. I hope you have a better week.

Amber said...

Josh's brother had it done and it has been life changing for him. Go for it@!!!

Sean Smith said...

I know I probably don't need to say it, but the addage "you get what you pay for" applies especially to Lasik.

I have two acquaintances who have had the surgery. My friend Sheldon spent $6,000 (He also lives in San Francisco and had his done in 2000 before the bubble burst) and he loves it and swears by it. My friend Barbara, spent $2,000 (same time period and city). Hers was a "buy one eye get the other eye free" deal. She had serious problems.

Just make sure you check out your surgeon really well. And as others have said, it is life changing for the better.

FWIW, I think you look darn good in glasses too. So nyah!

Catherine said...

I have to agree with Sean's comment, you need to be careful who you go to for the Surgery and watch out for deals that seem "really cheap" just to get a less expensive price. It's sad but there are some idiots out there willing to do surgery on those who should never have had it done. When it comes to your vision, you don't want it screwed up (even more, I should say, tee hee)

Good Luck

Sean Smith said...

Well Catherine, knowing Sam like we do, I am more than sure she has done her homework. Come to thnk of it Sam, all I ever saw you doing the first few yars I kne you was homework. :-)

It's just a shame that the Lasik Company itself went into bankruptcy, if you went to oneoftheir centers, you got the lifetime guarantee and knew you were getting a certified quality job.

Rebecca said...

Those I know who've had it done have loved the results, but again it was pricey.

I have wanted it done, but my eyes aren't really that bad. I just use them for driving mostly. Still, I thought it would be nice not to have them at all.

Turns out our insurance helps pay for it....sweet...unfortuantely our insurance is changing next year...bummer. And Lasik is no longer on there. ):