Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cutting hair

So when James and I first got married, he worked for months trying to convince me to cut his hair. I just didn't want to do it. I thought I would mess it up and it seemed to hard. Well we were budgeting and we had already cut back everywhere we could except there. So I finally gave in to save money. Then I started cutting my dad's hair too. So I've been doing both of their hair cuts for a while now. Then last Friday I cut my friend Rob's hair. It is nice to be able to do this for people. Now don't get your hopes up-- I can only handle simple guys hair.

But after cutting my dad's this last week, we got to sit and chat for a bit. He just wanted me to catch him up on things in my life. Really there wasn't much. But it was nice to just be with him for a while, just the two of us. When we lived with them, my dad and I would always have our late night chats. After the TV show was over, we'd just sit and talk. Usually until the wee hours of the morning when we just had to drag ourselves upstairs. I LOVED it. My dad is amazing. He is full of knowledge and insight and I treasure our talks one on one.

I always learn about my Heavenly Father from my earthly father. He is just such a good example. I was just going to leave after cutting his hair and I went in to say good bye and he just said sit, let's talk, it has been a while since we've gotten to talk. And he just cared so much to know how my life was. I know that is how God is with us. Many times I carry on and just leave without really talking to him. But he says sit, let's talk, it has been a while. Heavenly Father just like my dad really cares to know how my life is going. I cherish this simple lesson that my daddy taught me that night.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a treasured memory with your Dad. And I know he must have done a great job because you are strong in the gospel and have a wonderful testimony. He must be so proud of you.

Angela Muir said...

Matt had been bugging me to do his hair too.. i just don't think i can! but good for you! i hope you don't mind i found your blog- so cute, your daughter is so adorable and i looved your Halloween costumes! and just so you know i planned on coming to that finance enrichment night :) i even took my clothes to jenny for the clothing swap but a good friend was playing in Topeka ( you can see my blog for proof! :) but really you are doing a great job with all the fun stuff going on!