Friday, November 7, 2008

A pet peeve

Okay so I have found a pet peeve. That is when people confuse Missouri and Kansas. It is like they just consider them one state! Ugh!! So I wrote a vendor and asked him to change our billing address to the Missouri office. I saw that when he forwarded this request to someone to have them do it, he wrote ~"I guess their billing office is in Kansas." So how do you go from Missouri to Kansas. I didn't even say Kansas City, just that we were in Missouri and then listed the address. But somehow he thinks we are in Kansas. And I get this all the time. It isn't like I confuse them and think they are in New Mexico instead of Arizona. I just don't get it!! I know this isn't a big deal, but it just rubbed me the wrong way this morning!

5 comments:

Sean Smith said...

I hated that about living on the coast. The minute you say Kansas City. You get back something usually to the effect of "Oh the Land of Oz!" or "What was it like growing up in Kansas?" I usually would get the latter and respond, "I don't know, I grew up in Kansas City, MISSOURI!"

Every now and again some boob would say, "There is a Kansas City, Missouri? Why?" At that point I'd just usually walk away and find an intelligent person to converse with.

Tina said...

I haven't gotten the Kansas/Missouri thing out on this coast. But, I have a related pet peeve. It annoys me when non-Missourians (especially politicians--'plenty of those here) pronounce "Missouri" with an "A" sound at the end instead of the "I." "Oh, you're from MissourA?!" It doesn't help me relate to them. I don't feel like they are "in touch" with the common folk. It just feels a bit condescending.

Unknown said...

Ha!! I still have friends and family out west who always ask "how's Kansas?". Like I should know...it's MISSOURI dorks!

Tiffany said...

I agree! Why do people do that?!? Whenever I tell someone in Utah I live in Kansas City, they always assume it's Kansas. I usually just smile and nod, but it is annoying. :)

Rebecca said...

That would bug me too. My real pet peeve is people who pronounce Missouri, Missour-ah. I see no 'a' on the end folks. In fact, I'm not sure I can think of a time when 'i' ever says 'ah'.

Funny how these things bug us!

BTW, Sariah is WAY cute in that tinkerbell outfit.