Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sleepless nights

I think everyone knows being a mom means some sleepless nights. There is really nothing you can do to prepare for how hard that really is. And more kids just means less sleep. And if anyone is sick.. less sleep.

For someone like me who really would sleep 9 hours every night as my ideal, this is so hard. In fact it is one of the hardest parts of having a newborn at least for me.

Last night- super rough. Ben is sick and Eli was starving and Sariah try as she might had trouble sleeping through the noise. It went something like this-

8:30-10:30- Eli is cranky and wanted to nurse the whole time.

10:30- Ben is crying and has a high fever. Gave him Tylenol and sat with him for a while.

12:40- Eli is hungry

1:30- Ben wakes up and comes in my room. Snuggle him. Get him some gatoraid. Lay him back down and sit with him for a bit.

2:40- Eli is hungry

3:10- Ben wakes up an crying in the hall. Snuggle him. Get him some more gatoraid. Lay him back down and sit with him for a bit. Then Sariah is up and wants a drink of milk so I get that.

5:00- Eli is hungry

And here I am now feeding Eli. Ben normally gets up for the day at 7am. I'm hopeful he will sleep in. Either way I'm not sure I will be coherent enough to get anything done today.

I knew I would have sleepless nights as a mom. I still don't know how to cope well with them. There are many prayers asking for strength and energy these days.

Sent from Sam's iPhone

2 comments:

LA Law said...

Keep your expectations low for the day. I remember those days. Some days my goal was just to survive the day! Good luck!

thepainterfamily said...

amen to the low expectations.

If I've had a crazy night, I feel good if we just make it through the day! :)

newborn-ness is haaaaaaard.

xoxo