Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Waking up in the night

Okay, so I felt very blessed that Sariah started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks. But recently that blessing has ended. She is now waking up again on a pretty regular basis. Usually about 2:30 to 3:00 in the morning. I'm not sure what to do. Occasionally, she will put her self back to sleep after crying for a little while. But last night, no such luck. I got up with her. Changed her diaper and fed her and laid her back down and she slept until 8:30 this morning. I don't know if getting up with her is a good thing or not. Maybe it encourages her to wake up more if she knows I will come get her. But I do wait a while before going in. I'm trying to narrow down what is causing her to wake up as this has been going on for at least a month now- I think longer. I have the following ideas:

1) Teething- it looks like her top teeth are really trying to push through. Maybe they are bothering her and waking her up.

2) Congestion- I think this is from teething, but she has a very congested nose. Lately she has had trouble eating because she can't breath through her nose.

3) Hunger- I'm not sure what to do on this one. I do nurse her when she won't sleep. But I'm feeding her cereal and nursing her just before she goes to bed.

4) Noise- Maybe there is some noise happening around that time of night that I don't hear but it is enough to wake her up.

5) Growing- Maybe she is just growing and that is making her extra hungery and uncomfortable.

So any thoughts or suggestions?

6 comments:

Kiera said...

Noah is on the same schedule! It is kicking out behinds!

LA Law said...

You can try keeping her up later.

Catherine said...

it's hard to know, especially of things aren't exactly right -- like teething, or congestion. I tend to give "tough love" (when there isn't anything wrong that I can tell) and let them cry it out . . . which is easier said than done. I gave in alot with Kimball. But it seemed to me that my kids would get into bad patterns if I kept getting up with them. Good Luck.

Oh by the way, an "elderly woman" from the Phillipines who was at the bus stop this morning told me that raisimg kids in the US is very difficult . . . back in the Phillipines, she'd have several maids to do the cleaning and cooking, etc. How would that be???!

Rob the Blog Ninja said...

There is nothing more disheartening than hearing the beginning of that "middle of the night" cry. Oh no! please go back to sleep baby.

Hopefully she snaps out of it pretty soon and let you get back to having a full nights rest.

McAtee Family said...

Both of our girls went thru this - with Haley, we gave in and got up with her. It lasted MONTHS!! Then, when Sophie started doing it, everyone told us to be tough and make her cry it out. It was awful (I laid in my bed and cried right along with her) but after a week, she stopped doing it.

So - if you can survive it, then be tough and let her cry. Good Luck!!

Amber said...

I gave in much more with Zach. My guess is she's going through a growth spurt and she's hungry or she's at the stage that she misses mommy in the night. With Zach, if he was going to bed and sleeping for 6-8 hours then waking up, I would feed him...He's never been a great sleeper though...