Monday, December 15, 2014

Corralling 4...on my own

So James still travels for work. Thankfully it is only one week a month right now. That compared to three weeks a month truly feels like a blessing to me. But it still means doing things on my own. And in December it means doing more things on my own now with a newborn too. 

Growing up we had a few traditions but not many. And I have made this little commitment to myself that I want to try to give my kids traditions and as magical of a month I can in December. So we have started a few. One thing that keeps us on track/extra committed is our advent calendar. In each day there is a felt ornament that goes on the top but also a little card that says a Christmas thing we will do that day. Sometimes I wish I hadn't started this because it can also be overwhelming. But I like that it gets us going. 

A few things that are tradition, I would much rather not do alone but this year if they are going to happen they are happening without the hubs. He was working late hours last week which meant doing the "Christmas in the Park" lights at Longview Lake on our own. And tonight we went to the live outside Nativity without him. So I'm learning to corral all four. Which isn't always pretty. Thankfully Eli did not get ran over when he ran ahead to the car. Yes our coats are probably covered in icing from the donuts after. But we managed to walk around with 2 cups of hot chocolate without spilling. However I drank some to check the temp not thinking about how I'm currently not having chocolate to see if it helps Elayne (whole other story). 

We still have to manage to go see Santa on our own which I'm not looking forward to. But moments like tonight when Ben turns to me while watching the Nativity and says "Mom I know this story!"  Those moments bring me to tears and make doing it worth it in every way. 

No comments: