Saturday, December 6, 2014

Cool kids

I know I fall victim to the nasty comparison bug and as much as I try to resist the voice that I know is untrue, it's still pops up from time to time. 

Yesterday I went to a birthday lunch for a friend. A person who seriously just attracts people to her because she is so loving and thoughtful. Really truly the kind of person I am inspired by and want to be more like. So naturally the other woman attending are...amazing. 

This is where the little voice comes in. Their hair and makeup are great. They are all super fashionable. They basically have it all together. Then I start feeling out of place. Like I've come to a party with all the cool kids and well I'm just not that cool. 

Then I mentally try to smash that little voice. Seriously why do I think things like this?  I'm hoping some of it is just induced my emotional sleep deprivation. But I also think it goes back to not taking time for me. I haven't spent a lot of time developing my talents lately and so I don't feel very talented. And sometimes I have to recognize that I'm talented in areas that maybe aren't as "cool". I may not be super fashionable but I'm a very good accountant. :). Yeah accounting doesn't really add up on the cool scale but it is a worthwhile talent. 

1 comment:

QNC said...

Hi. Bet you didn't know I blog stalk you, but I do. If all the woman at this party were so fabulous, and you got the super exclusive invite, then you must be pretty fabulous yourself too. (And I know it's not because of your accounting skills.) I know in certain groups it can be easy to compare and note our differences to others. Heavenly Father doesn't care how cool our outfits are or if our babies are sporting the trendiest new gear. All that matters in life is being a good mother, a good wife, and a good friend. And you are all of those things.