Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sick sick sick

Well I've been pretty quiet about myself and life lately. Partly because I've been couch bound all week. I've left the house umm 2 times. ER and the doctor's office. So exciting.

James let leak on Facebook some of the details. I gave him a hard time that he talks more about me on Facebook than him. So here are the full details of where we are now.

I am now 10 weeks pregnant!! Yay!! Sadly my body isn't so sure it likes being pregnant. At least not my stomach. So I started not feeling good pretty much the day the line showed on the test. I've been sicker this pregnancy than the others which is saying a lot. Considering I'm usually bed ridden the first half.

My doctor's office has started doing acupuncture to treat morning sickness. Let me say that my experience is not normal and they have had great success with it. I would still recommend trying it to someone who has morning sickness problems.

I did my first treatment on a Friday. I felt pretty good that night and great the next morning. So great that when James offered to push the kids in the stroller for the 5k temple run that morning I decided to run it. It felt so good to be out and be active after having felt so crummy. But afterwards I felt wiped. I came home and took a nap since James and I were supposed to have a date that night. So that night arrives and my nausea is back for sure. We dropped the kids off and pulling away I threw up. Thankfully I keep zip locks on me at all times during the first half of my pregnancy. So we did dinner and walked around Zona Rosa for about 20 minutes before I was feeling just too crummy and needed to lay down.

Sunday, we were supposed to go to Lee's Summit for my brother in law's baby blessing. I backed out and let James just take the kids. I knew my body couldn't handle the long car ride. And later that day, I was super thankful I stayed home. Basically, I threw up all day everything I tried to eat. Even just one bite or one drink would come up within about 20 minutes. So Monday morning I felt a little better and called my doctor's office to see if I could try to wait it out a little longer. Apparently, they don't want you to go more than 12 hours without keeping liquids down. So when I threw up the only thing I had that morning- gatorade- I figured I had to go into the ER.

So James came home from work and took me in to Liberty's ER. Jackie- James' mom- had kept the kids over night since she knew how sick I was Sunday. At the hospital, they pumped 3 bags of fluid into me and some Zophran. Needless to say my pee wasn't orange anymore. And the next day they called to let me know I had a UTI. So Yay now antibiotics on top of my still super nauseous stomach.

So the rest of the week went like so. Jackie continued to keep the kids until Friday. I laid on the couch taking Zophran and barely keeping down broth and gatorade. I was still throwing up most solids. I went to the doctor for a second acupuncture treatment since I already had it scheduled and it did help some before. But it wasn't helpful this time. So I called Friday to see if they could up my dosage of Zophran since I was still so sick. They said they couldn't but they could switch me to a pump.

So Friday night a nice nurse came to the house to get me started. It is a little more intense than I had anticipated. It isn't an IV. It is a little plastic tube/needle that sits in the skin and hooks up to a pump. It gives me a low dose every hour to try to regulate me. So far it has been helpful. I've still spent a lot of time on the couch but I'm not fighting the extreme nausea that I was having. And if I do feel sick I can call and they can let me have an extra boost of meds.

So it is a little awkward my new little fanny pack. And the drugs are hard on your skin so at each site I use it sort of feels like a really awful bruise. And I have to switch sites every day. So hmm I could end up pretty sore. But at this point I'll take that over being so sick. We are still working on getting back to fully hydrated and being able to eat full size meals. But yesterday I didn't throw up at all!!! For like the first time in well over a week. So I'll take that small victory.


Thank you for all the well wishes and prayers. And for the mysterious cookies someone left. James didn't find a card with them so whoever did that it was super sweet. SUPER huge thanks to my awesome mom in law for keeping my kids all week while I laid on the couch. There is no way I could have handled them on my own. And SUPER SUPER huge thanks to my hubby. He has been kind and patient taking care of me. Cooking for me and getting me anything I've needed. I know this has been a hard week on all of us. And here's to getting better and having a healthy baby.

7 comments:

LA Law said...

YIKES! Lots of prayers headed your way. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, though I'm so sorry you have been so sick!

Tina said...

Yuck! I hope this passes soon. 'Glad they had some stuff to help and that James is taking care of you. In time, you will have quite the story to tell your sweet baby! ;)

Tiffany said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy! That's terrible that you feel so bad. Sometimes I think labor is better than morning sickness! Hang in there! At least you get an adorable baby out if it when you're all done. :) Hope you are feeling better soon.

thepainterfamily said...

first of all...

Congratulations!! so exciting!!!

but second of all...

ohhhhhhh, that sounds so rough.
I am so sorry to hear about the sickness. blah. does it ever go away in the second trimester? (hoping it does!)

Sam and Lacey said...

Sorry you've been so sick. But I'm very excited to hear that you are pregnant. Congratulations.

Do you think that since you're twice as sick that maybe you have twice as many babies growing in there? :-)

Colton Anne said...

Oh my goodness...you poor thing! I sure hope that the sickness has been slowly and continues to get better!! Maybe this will be your easiest baby/kid in return for all the grief it's given you thus far!! :)