Thursday, July 24, 2008

Jogging/Wogging

Okay so my friend Amber blogged about wogging (walking and jogging.) And I had too many thoughts on it to leave a short comment. So I decided to write a whole blog about it!

First thought: Thanks! I have been wanting to get back into running since I had Sariah. This morning your blog inspired me to just bite the bullet and take the time to go! So out I went with my jogging stroller. James finally helped me air up the tires (this was one of many excuses I gave myself for not going.) While jogging, I realized that I was WAY more out of shape than I thought. It didn't help that I was pushing about 20 lbs in the stroller and I'm used to running alone. But I managed to run about a mile and walk about a mile.

Second thought: Wearing tight clothes. Okay you asked about why people where tight clothes. I have several thoughts on this. Yes I agree that part of it is to keep your body from jiggling quite so much. Also a lot of the tight clothes that you can get a sports stores are made from fabrics that help to whisk sweat away and keep you cooler and dryer. They are actually much more comfortable to run in if you get some good clothes like that. I also realized that I want to be able to fit back into my tight running clothes! Maybe a few more runs will get me there!!

Third thought: When I got home, I happened to have an email from Itunes in connection with Nike about there 10K human race. It is a big race with several locations and everyone runs together on the same day. Kinda cool! Bummer that the closest locale to us is Chicago. But I did find out about their tracking options. I had heard of this stuff before, but it was too expensive. Now the price has come down and it is reasonable if you are at all serious about running or walking. It is their Nike+ Line. It comes with a little chip that you stick in the shoe and it tracks all sorts of stats about your run. You can either link it to an Ipod nano or by the air band they have. Then you come home and sync it to the computer and it will track how far, how long, how many calories etc and your progress between runs. It will also give you work out plans to reach certain goals. The chip is about $30 and the shoes seem to run $80 ish and up. Which really isn't that bad if you actually buy good shoes. You do have to get the shoes that are compatible, but I think it is pretty cool. I think for me it is worth the investment. You can also link to other people online to compete with each other.

Fourth thought: James and I are planning to run in the Zoo's "Run for the Frogs." http://www.kansascityzoorun.org/

You can do either 4 mile run (starting in Swope park and ending in the zoo) or a 1 mile run/walk (entirely in the zoo). There is a charge and it varies depending on how soon you register, but you do get free entrance into the zoo that day. So you could just have to pay for your spouse and kids (which you get a discount for) and spend the rest of the day at the zoo. If anyone else signs up let me know so we can look for you.

Fifth thought: I would love to join the competition. I'm about the slowest runner ever, but I love it. And I usually have really good endurance. So let me know what the incentives are or if anyone wants to get together to run.

I think those were all of my thoughts!! hehehe

3 comments:

Amber said...

I like all of your comments! I have always thought it would be cool to say you did a marathon, but maybe I'll start with a 5K. I've never really been a long distance runner, more of a sprinter. But right now I'm just trying to lose some weight. And it's nice to jog in the morning before Josh goes to work.

Amber said...

Oh, and I've been eyeing that Nike thing too...Although I kind of just want a heart monitor that you wear when you jog...

Rob the Blog Ninja said...

I love to run when I actually get into it. I have gotten so unmotivated lately though. It's funny how things like reading someones blog can jumpstart you again. Maybe this one will help me. Who knows =)