Thursday, November 24, 2011

Changing Table

So with Ben and Sariah, I had a changing table.  Nothing fancy but it worked.  So when we were cleaning out my parents’ house, we found this old dresser.  I decided to take on the project of redoing it and making it into my changing table. 

Little did I know how much WORK this would be.  So here are the pictures of it in all its ORIGINAL GLORY:

IMG_4415IMG_4417IMG_4416

At first, I thought I would use a stripper on it.  So I had my “get it done” group help with that.  We tried it and man it just wasn’t working.  I mean we put the stripping agent on and scrapped and scrapped with minimal success.  So then I turned to sanding it.  This was more expensive considering how many sanding pads I ended up using.  But much faster and worked a lot better.  (After talking to friends I learned that strippers don’t work as well on old paint and oil paint- I think this dresser had both.)

So next go round of get it done, I had them help sand some more.  And then I made James help sand some more.  And don’t worry I sanded myself a lot too!  You can also see the drawers in the background.  We did replace the bottom of the drawers as they were starting bow.  I just forgot to get pictures of that process.  Here are some IN PROCESS pictures:  

IMG_4875

IMG_4878IMG_4877

After a lot of sanding hours- A LOT- and some spray paint and some new handles here is the FINISHED PRODUCT:

(Note: Sariah refused to let me take a picture of just the dresser.  She had to be next to it.)

IMG_4895

IMG_4898IMG_4897

Here it is with the changing pad.  Of course my cover matches it- which I wish it didn’t.  I had the cover already so oh well!  I’m still debating on trying to add a glaze or distress it some.  But as my due date was getting closer I decided I like it how it is and will do that in the spring if I still want to. 

IMG_4906

 

So from this:

IMG_4415

 

To this:

IMG_4902

I must say I’m pretty happy!

1 comment:

Tina said...

Wow! Great job. It looks so nice!