Sunday, March 30, 2008

Maybe New York

We just found out my husband's company is planning to move to New York. So my world has been a whirl wind since Friday afternoon. Discussions of if we will move have been all that we've talked about. It is hard, because so much is unknown. They haven't picked an office location in the state. So we've looked at costs, but things very so much on location. They are supposed to be looking Monday. I'm just wishing and hoping that they will pick something quickly. Then beyond that we don't know exaclty what pay they are offering. They said that he would get a raise, but we don' know how much beyond just the increase in the cost of living.

There are mixed emotions all around. It is exciting to think about, but daunting to actually do. It would mean leaving both families and all of our close friends. I'm especially struggling with that. I have never lived away from family. I sit here with my 3 month old in my lap and think about moving her away from her grandparents, cousins, and aunts and uncles. Someone once told me that your baby is only a baby once. That this is the only time to know them this way. Once they grow up they will always be grown up. They will never return to this perfect innocent state. So I want my family to know her this way. To share the joys of all her "firsts."

Some people have told us that moving away from your family is the best thing you can do for your marriage. Maybe they are right. It would cause us to depend on each other more.

I think it is exciting and could be a great push for me to grow. To step out of my box and see more of the world. I have felt lately that life was too easy and things were going too well. Usually when I feel that way the Lord "blesses" me with a challenge. I guess this is it.

4 comments:

Hays said...

Hey Kiddo, you know that your Dad loves NY. Might be my growing up there. Anyway, the internet is a wonderful thing with webcams and video calls, etc.
You just have to remember to get connected.
As I have said, you should call Ryan Barzee (he lives upstate NY)and Bill Shull's son (he is the one living in NYC per se).
LOve ya
Dad

Mom Ransom said...

Sam, I was born in upper state New York in the little village called "Ilion" in Herkimer County. Actually, General George Herkimer, the county's namesake, had a sister who is our direct line ancestor on my Dad's side of the family. So if you could live in upper state NY, you'd find many places of interest to visit. I agree with you dad that webcams and video calls can help keep us all connected.
When I asked Grandma Maxine Dorn about moving to NY, her first exclamation was, "But the TAXES are outrageous there, including corporate taxes! Why in the world would the company want to pay more taxes?" But if they move to upper NY State, perhaps prices wouldn't be so high.
My grandmother's house in Ilion was at 175 Second Street, Ilion, NY. Maybe you could googleworldmap that and see where her house was/is.
One nice thing about many parts of NY is that there are old Victorian style houses with lots of room in them (and probably old wiring, plumbing, etc, if not updated) but oh, what fun to discover ...
On the other hand, if you stayed here, we'd love that! But I suspect perhaps Father in Heaven needs two strong leaders back there. The church struggles in places back East.
One thing I know, you'll both figure out what you need to do, and I know you'll do it. Your love for the Lord and the gospel will guide you, whatever that may bring.
Love,
Mom Ransom

GMAMaxine said...

Dear Sam and James,

Congratulations on a corporate opportunity with a company who will offer you a chance to continue to stretch your talents. This is an offer to you, Sam, and James and our “Sari” for an adventure. You know how much we love you. We will miss Sari in the flesh but know we can count on new pictures on the internet so that we can watch her growth. Sam, wonderful pictures. Sari looks like both of you and that means she is a beautiful little kid. If you choose the new path, you have my support and blessing. I figure I can then visit New York, Colorado, California and Hawaii. That’s the truth……. Grandma and Great Grandma Dorn.

atrabilious creature said...

OH my gosh! So exciting but overwhelming too I am sure. I will pray for you that the choices that are right for you will be made clear. God has a wonderful plan for you, no matter what!
I will miss you terribly if you move though. :( I need to come see you! How Sariah has grown, my goodness. What are you doing this week? I so need to visit! Would Thursday work for you?